Motuihe Island Cemetery

From KiwiWiki

Jump to: navigation, search

http://www.wargraves.co.nz/Auckland/Motuihe%20Island%20Cemetery/list.htm

MOTUIHE ISLAND CEMETERY WAR GRAVE

This small low farmed island of 179 hectares lies between Motutapu and Waiheke Islands some 11 km northeast of Auckland. Sir John Logan Campbell lived on Motuihe Inland as early as 1843. Robert Graham purchased it for farming in 1858. Purchased by the Crown in 1872, it was a quarantine station for many years. During the 1914-18 war it served an Internment camp for Germans and other aliens and afterwards as a quarantine station. Among its notable prisoners were Count Felix von Luckner and Lieutenant Kirchweiss of the raider "Seeadler" and Dr Schultz- Governor of German Samoa. Lt. Cdr. Count Felix von Luckner, who with his sailing ship "Seeadler" accounted for 86,000 tons of allied shipping before being captured in the Cook Islands. In 1917 von Luckner and his crew made a daring escape from Motuihe, commandeered a vessel and sailed over 900 km north where they were eventually captured at the Kermadec Islands. The 80 or so internees were transferred to Narrow Neck, Devonport 16 December 1918 to make room for the passengers and crew of the R.M.S. Makura who were infected with Influenza. The New Zealand Herald of 2-5 December 1918 listed 39 men, 24 women, 10 children and 2 infants, passengers who were to be landed at Motuihe.

Personal tools