Addington Cemetery

From KiwiWiki

(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
Revision as of 22:12, 14 June 2007 (edit)
202.78.155.52 (Talk)

← Previous diff
Revision as of 11:02, 20 June 2007 (edit) (undo)
Murray (Talk | contribs)
(New page)
Next diff →
Line 1: Line 1:
-To be completed+[[Category: Burial Sites]]
 +[[Category: Canterbury]]
 +[[Category: Christchurch City]]
 + 
 +==Location==
 +Selwyn Street, Christchurch. Between Disraeli Street and Fairfield Avenue.
 + 
 +NZSG: Q10.01
 + 
 +==Description==
 + 
 +==History==
 +The Addington Cemetery was established in 1858 when the Scottish Presbyterians of St Andrew’s Church (which was located about a mile away on the triangle of land between Oxford Terrace, Tuam and Antigua Streets) purchased land for a cemetery in Selwyn Street. Although not the first cemetery in Christchurch, Addington was in fact the first “public” cemetery, “being open to all persons of any religious community” and allowing the performance of any religious service “not contrary to public decency”. The other major cemetery at [[Barbadoes Street Cemetery|Barbadoes Street]] primarily provided for Anglican services, thus many of the more radical personalities, who were not prepared to conform to Anglican services, opted for the Addington Cemetery. The profits made from the purchasing of plots went towards the acquisition of sites for religious and educational purposes, the relief of the poor and provision of bursaries for the Christchurch High School (today known as Hagley High School).
 + 
 +[http://www.ccc.govt.nz/Parks/Cemeteries/PDF/AddingtonCemetery.pdf Plot Map of Addington Cemetery]
 + 
 +[http://www.ccc.govt.nz/Parks/Cemeteries/PDF/AddingtonCemeteryPlan.pdf Plan of Addington Cemetery]
 + 
 +Its plots were taken up over a relatively short period of time. By 1980 it was made a ‘closed cemetery’, meaning that no further burials were permitted, with the exception of certain people who own existing family plots.
 + 
 +In 1947 the Christchurch City Council assumed management of the cemetery who have maintained the cemetery as one of the city’s recognised "green spaces".
 + 
 +Work is currently under way to look at the future preservation of the cemetery, see: [http://library.christchurch.org.nz/Heritage/Cemeteries/Addington/DraftAddingtonCemeteryConservationPlan.pdf Draft Addington Cemetery Conservation Plan]
 + 
 +==Burials==
 + 
 +The first burial took place on the 10th of November 1858. The deceased was accident victim George McIlraith, who died at age 20.
 + 
 +The cemetery has several persons of note buried within its grounds including activist Kate Sheppard, Christchurch Mayor [[Tommy Taylor]] and members of the pioneer family, the Deans.
 + 
 +For burial records see the [http://librarydata.christchurch.org.nz/Cemeteries/ Christchurch City Council Cemeteries Database] and the [http://library.christchurch.org.nz/Heritage/Cemeteries/Addington/AddingtonCemetery.pdf Guide to Addington Cemetery] which includes details of many of those burial buried at Addington.
 + 
 + 
 +==Acknowledgements==
 +Christchurch City Council and Library
 + 
 + 
 +==Return to [[Canterbury Cemeteries]]==

Revision as of 11:02, 20 June 2007


Contents

Location

Selwyn Street, Christchurch. Between Disraeli Street and Fairfield Avenue.

NZSG: Q10.01

Description

History

The Addington Cemetery was established in 1858 when the Scottish Presbyterians of St Andrew’s Church (which was located about a mile away on the triangle of land between Oxford Terrace, Tuam and Antigua Streets) purchased land for a cemetery in Selwyn Street. Although not the first cemetery in Christchurch, Addington was in fact the first “public” cemetery, “being open to all persons of any religious community” and allowing the performance of any religious service “not contrary to public decency”. The other major cemetery at Barbadoes Street primarily provided for Anglican services, thus many of the more radical personalities, who were not prepared to conform to Anglican services, opted for the Addington Cemetery. The profits made from the purchasing of plots went towards the acquisition of sites for religious and educational purposes, the relief of the poor and provision of bursaries for the Christchurch High School (today known as Hagley High School).

Plot Map of Addington Cemetery

Plan of Addington Cemetery

Its plots were taken up over a relatively short period of time. By 1980 it was made a ‘closed cemetery’, meaning that no further burials were permitted, with the exception of certain people who own existing family plots.

In 1947 the Christchurch City Council assumed management of the cemetery who have maintained the cemetery as one of the city’s recognised "green spaces".

Work is currently under way to look at the future preservation of the cemetery, see: Draft Addington Cemetery Conservation Plan

Burials

The first burial took place on the 10th of November 1858. The deceased was accident victim George McIlraith, who died at age 20.

The cemetery has several persons of note buried within its grounds including activist Kate Sheppard, Christchurch Mayor Tommy Taylor and members of the pioneer family, the Deans.

For burial records see the Christchurch City Council Cemeteries Database and the Guide to Addington Cemetery which includes details of many of those burial buried at Addington.


Acknowledgements

Christchurch City Council and Library


Return to Canterbury Cemeteries

Personal tools