Creating an account
Before you can edit or create a page you need to create an account by clicking the link at the top of each page, and then log in.
Creating a new page
Editing, Formatting, Internal & External Links
Basic layout can be done very easily using the Icons above the edit box or by typing the control characters yourself, for example to create bold text you simply type:
See: Help: Reference
Previewing and Saving
Before you save a page:
- Preview and spell check your contributions,
- Put a note in the Summary as to why you are making the change or tick the minor change box if it is just a spelling, grammar or basic layout change,
- Make sure you have links to take your readers to other pages and that you have added a Category or Categories,
- While it seems silly to say this, do remember to SAVE your page!! As I have discovered, it is all too easy to click on a link in the article you are previewing and forget to save your work. If you do this, don't panic as you should be able to click on "Go Back".
Remember that every time you edit a page, a record is made in the database. You can review the changes made to any page, see the old versions and see who made the changes, by clicking the "history" tab at the top of the screen.
Images are a little trickier to add as you must also dowload the file. However like other mediaWiki features, this has been made to be quite straight-forward.
See: Adding an Image
Etiquette and Legal Stuff
As with any other community, unfortunately, there need to be a few rules:
- No objectional or illegal items or items restricted by copyright or license.
- All contributions should be positive and so no flaming or put-downs
- This site is aimed at recording New Zealand History and so restrict your articles to this broad topic
- There are many online resources for publishing private websites, family trees etc and so restrict your articles to those with a public interest
In the end I must follow the law in the USA (where the site is hosted) and in New Zealand and also the rules that I have agreed to from the website's host WestHost. As a result I must reserve the right to delete any material which I deem objectional or irrelevant and to ban users who repeatedly publish such material.
Please read this excellent article for guidelines: Wikipedia: Etiquette
Any information you put in an article anywhere on the site is in the public domain.